You are currently visiting our International webshop, visitors from the UK, ES, NL, BE, DE and FR. Please make sure you choose the correct webshop of your country, scroll down the page to choose the correct store. If your country is not available in the dropdown below you can shop at the international website. Thank you!
Supplementary animal feed
Feed supplement containing vital antibodies for the first 48 hours
provides the newborn foal with protective antibodies against infection helps the foal to build resistance and vitality in a natural way reduces the risk of diarrhoea long storage life fast and easy to prepare
For motherless foals For foals whose mother has insufficient or no colostrum In case of a blood disease (Rhesus factor)
About Pavo Biest
Newborn foals lack antibodies against infection. It’s not until the foal is 3 to 5 weeks old that it produces enough of these antibodies itself. To bridge this gap healthily, it needs antibodies from the mare’s colostrum.
If a foal hasn’t received colostrum from its mother, or hasn’t had enough, it is vital to administer colostrum as quickly as possible in another way. Antibodies can pass through the intestinal wall only for the first day after birth. Uptake of antibodies is excellent within the first 12 hours after birth but falls to minimal levels after 24 hours. Pavo Colostrum is specially designed for this purpose.
* Heat 1 liter mare-milk or Pavo Foal-milk to a hand-warm temperature (38-40 °C). If no mare-milk or Pavo Foal-milk is available, low-fat milk can be used.
Do not use merely water to mix the Pavo Colostrum, because water doesn't contain vitamins.
* Add the complete contents of the Pavo Colostrum packet, and stir until all the colostrum powder has been dissolved.
* Give the foal about 250 ml hand-warm colostrum milk ((38-40 °C) every hour, using a bottle with nipple or from a bucket
Preparation - Tips
* We recommend heating the colostrum-milk or keeping the milk warm au bain marie'. The 'au bain marie' method is heating something in or above warm water.
Take a large pan or bowl with a minimum content of 1 liter and put this in or above a larger pan with hot water. The 'au bain marie' method prevents curdling or scorching.
* Never use the microwave to warm the colostrum milk.
* Use Pavo Colostrum when the mare has problems with her milk gift immediately after the birth of her foal (preferably within 3 hours, nut no later than 12 hours after parturition).
* In case of very weak foal, or a foal that didn't get any mare colostrum at all, we recommend giving a second sachet of Pavo Colostrum.
* For your comfort and peace of mind, request a complete health check of your foal by your vet within 24 hours after parturition.